Is Hair Removal Permanent? Find Full Answer
Is hair removal permanent? And which types of hair removal give you permanent results? and what are the best methods for getting silky-smooth skin for life?
There are many methods for hair removal but not all methods are actually effective for life. Every woman wants to look perfect, that’s why permanent hair removal methods are so popular today. This guide will help you understand more about permanent methods and the differences between them.
Is there a permanent hair removal?
Is laser hair removal permanent? In short, laser hair removal gives you semi-permanent results. It works by heating the roots of the hair to stop new hairs from growing. This diminishes the hair growth and makes your skin stay hair-free for a a longer period of time. Also, hair removal can give you permanent results on the long term, the treatment reduces the number of unwanted hair during the first sessions. In order to get forever results, you need to use laser therapy to maintain your results. If you are going to do laser therapy at clinics or at salons, you need to make sure that a certified dermatologist is the one who is performing the procedure.back to menu ↑
What type of hair removal is permanent?
There are two types used today to get permanent results which are laser hair removal and electrolysis. Laser hair removal is the removal of unwanted hair through pulsed light. The light destroying the hair follicle. It is more effective on people who have dark hair and light skin. Laser therapy targets the hair as it contains a higher percentage of melanin. During treatment, you might experience discomfort on ranges from the light sting to mild pain. You should expect to have several laser treatments per year. The hair growth over time varies from a person to another depending on many factors such as hair color, skin tone and the area you are treating.
Electrolysis is a bit more invasive. This method removes the hair by inserting a needle under the skin destroying the hair follicle. There are many types of electrolysis. Using the galvanic electrolysis, the heat destroys the hair follicles. Results vary depending on the person and the technician skills. If you are using a personal hair removal kit, you don’t need to apply numbing cream before the procedure. Laser light is lower than the laser used in professional hair removal. At clinics, the technician might apply a mild anesthetic on the area he is going to treat to relief pain.
Now, if you are running your hand over your body and dreaming about smooth skin for life, laser hair removal options will help you achieve such results.back to menu ↑
What are the three methods of permanent hair removal?
There are three types of long-lasting hair removal methods which are:
- Laser (at clinics or at home using personal laser kit)
- IPL (at clinics or at home using personal IPL kit)
- Electrolysis (must be done by the technician)
We will discuss the similarities, differences between them then we will help you decide the best way for you:
Laser hair removal is very popular for hair removal. But is laser hair removal permanent? Laser treatment is very effective for people who have pale skin and dark hair color. You can apply laser mostly everywhere. People use laser treatment for removing face, arms, legs and bikini line areas. You still can use laser therapy for other areas. The laser is not very effective on people who have dark skin and light hair. Know more about laser hair removal benefits.
Most people need 4 to 6 sessions to get permanent hair removal. You may need more or fewer sessions to achieve the desired results. We recommend spacing these sessions by a month to a month and a half apart. Full laser treatment will give you the perfect silky-smooth skin after only one year. Laser therapy is effective in reducing hair growth but you can’t rely on the treatment completely for life. You need to maintain your results by having laser maintenance each month or two. The good news is laser hair removal kits don’t cause pain at all. Laser therapy is most desired as elastic bands snapping the skin. Most patients report real hair growth reduction after only the first sessions. Find out more about laser hair removal.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is very similar to laser treatment. Both methods target the hair follicle and destroy the root of the hair in the dermis laser. A low dose of IPL continuously shoots deeply under the skin targeting the root, the hair papilla pigment absorbs the IPL light. This shrinks the hair and suppresses hair growth. This form of hair removal may be more painful than the laser procedure. You can use IPL kits, which are gentle on the skin and very effective in removing unwanted hair.
How many sessions you need differs depending on your hair thickness and the area you are going to treat. Armpit as an example needs 6 sessions while bikini line hair removal needs 8 sessions. don’t worry, you will be surprised by your IPL results from the first session.
Electrolysis is a progressive treatment to remove unwanted hair. It is a fast way to remove unwanted hair. The tiny pulses of current are directed towards the skin targeting the hair follicles. Electrolysis sessions’ duration is up to an hour while the touching up sessions take 15 to 20 minutes only. Electrolysis is not a practical solution for hair removal. You need up to 15 electrolysis sessions to get the permanent results you want.back to menu ↑
What is the best method of permanent hair removal?
Both IPL and Laser are popular for hair removal today. The electrolysis method is not very common today as it might cause sensitivity reactions and other problems.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) and laser therapy are effective in reducing hair appearance. IPL is better for people who have a fair skin tone and dark hair color. It covers a larger area of the skin in a shorter time while laser light is more concentrated. See more about laser Vs IPL for hair removal.
We will show you the pros and cons of both methods to help you make your own decision:back to menu ↑
IPL For Permanent Hair Removal
- More gentle on the skin
- Can minimize sun damage, freckles, and birthmarks
- The treatment works well for removing fine lines and spots
- Very effective in removing unwanted hair
- Your skin recover fast
- The light used doesn’t affect the upper layer of the skin which makes it very safe.
- It has fewer side effects compared to laser and dermabrasion methods
- You need more than one session for getting the desired results
- IPL is not very effective on people who have dark skin and light hair color
Laser For Permanent Hair Removal
- The laser is an FDA approved a method for removing unwanted hair. It can reduce hair growth until you reach permanent results. it is very important to complete your treatment course to get the desired results.
- You can apply laser anywhere. The light is concentrated and can target the hair without causing damage to the skin. You can apply laser on your legs, back, underarms, bikini line, stomach or even your face safely. For men, they can’t use the laser on their faces.
- Laser hair removal is not painful like waxing. The technician might advise you to apply ice first. For treating large skin areas, you might need numbing cream to make the procedure less painful.
- It takes time. The session for your underarm area takes less than a minute. However, you will need more than one session to get the perfect results. Most people achieve the desired results after 3 to 8 sessions. You may need a month or more to see the results you are looking for.
- The cost of a laser at clinics is high. Instead, you can get your own laser hair removal kit. It is as effective as laser hair removal at clinics. Although the treatment plan at home takes longer time as the light used is lower, you will get the same results after finishing your treatment plan.
- Since the contrast between the color of your skin and the hair is the main factor for achieving real results. the more the difference between them, the better the results you are getting from your treatment plan. Laser hair removal is very effective on fair skin and dark hair color and not very effective on people who have dark skin.
- You need to test laser and make sure that it is properly equipped for your skin tone and hair color. Some laser hair removal types such as Nd:YAG are better in specifying the hair without affecting the skin surrounding it.
- If laser hair removal at clinics is done by an untrained technician, you might get skin burns or scars. It is very important to ask where the laser technician or the doctor applying laser got his certification to do laser hair removal. Even doctors, need further training for applying laser. Instead, you can get your own laser hair removal kit which is very safe and doesn’t cause serious side effects.
back to menu ↑
How To Prepare Your Skin For Hair Removal
Before your laser or IPL session, the expert might examine your skin and tell you what you need. Tell your doctor if you suffer from skin conditions like inflammation and eczema. Your doctor might recommend that you avoid some activities, drugs and skincare products before and after your treatment.
You Should Avoid The Following:
- Direct sun exposure
- Tanning beds
- Chemical peels
- Certain medications cause bleeding or increase the risk of bleeding like aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Creams which contain a high amount of vitamin A like glycolic acid and Retin A.
What To Expect During Hair Removal?
Your skin specialist will clean the area you are going to apply laser on. He might use a numbing cream or ice if the area is large to reduce the pain level. He will apply the light pulses from the device to your skin. It is always better to wear protective glasses during laser or IPL hair removal to protect your eyes.
The treatment is very gentle. Most people describe it as being snapped with a rubber band. The duration of the hair removal sessions differs depending on the area you are going to treat and the hair thickness. to get the desired results, you will need from three to eight treatment sessions. Your skin will heal in the rest period between treatment sessions. It is totally worth it. are you still asking: is hair removal permanent? Most laser hair removal methods give semi-permanent results. You need to maintain your results by having a maintenance session once or twice monthly.back to menu ↑
Alternative to IPL and Laser Hair Removal
IPL and laser hair removal are not the only ways of getting silky-smooth skin appearance. There are other methods that can be used like Fraxel laser treatment and Microdermabrasion.
Fraxel Laser Hair Removal
Fraxel laser treatment is a nonablative procedure. It penetrated the skin reaching the lower layer without affecting the surface of the skin. Some Fraxel laser can reach the skin treating part of it in an ablative way. You can apply Fraxel laser treatment for removing sunburns, age lines, and wrinkles. It can help to remove acne scars. After the treatment, the skin renews. However, you will need several treatments to get the desired results. The Fraxel laser treatment is very expensive. One session costs around $800 to $1000, which is fairly hair.
Although microdermabrasion treatment doesn’t affect hair regrowth, it is still effective in treating many skin problems such as fine lines, age spots, and wrinkles. It is effective in removing dark skin patches and wrinkles. You will need to apply microdermabrasion for more than just one session to get the desired results. We recommend using a microdermabrasion kit once or twice weekly to get the desired results. The average cost of microdermabrasion is around $138.back to menu ↑
There are many ways of removing unwanted hair permanently. Discuss all the options we talked about with your skincare specialist. Ask him about the benefits and side effects of each method. You can have a skin test on a small batch first to make sure that the permanent hair removal methods won’t cause skin sensitivity reactions or irritation.